Uniport Tragedy: Final Year Student Found Unresponsive in Possible Drug Overdose.
A final year student of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), identified simply as Mudiaga, has died of a suspected overdose of the illicit drug Colorado, also known as synthetic cannabinoids or “Spice.”
Mudiaga was said to have smoked what a friend gave him ignorantly, thinking that it was a normal cigarette after playing football.
LEADERSHIP learnt that after smoking the “Colorado”, the students and his friends passed out.
However, the two others later regained consciousness, but he did not. He was rushed to the hospital where he was confirmed dead on arrival.
Spokesman of the University of Port Harcourt, Dr. Sammy Kpenu, confirmed the development to journalists in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, on Saturday.
Kpenu stated that the incident occurred outside the campus of the University.
He also said the friend who gave Mudiaga the students the “Colorado” cigarette has been arrested by the Police.
At the time of filing this report the Rivers State Police Command has not reacted to the incident.